Sunday, April 6, 2014

TSW Zen Shirt, Version 2 is Complete


This has been an a ongoing project for quite a while, but made in fits and starts. Unlike the previous version, I made this one according to the recommended techniques on the pattern's Guide Sheet with French seams, miters, top stitching, and so forth. Every once in a while it's nice to make a project this way to renew  fine sewing techniques. I especially like the hidden placket, which I will need to adapt to other patterns in the future.

It does look a bit plain on Miss Acme (and she's definitely looking worse for wear), but I assure you that it's a beautiful fine cotton in real life, with a hand that's crisp yet silky to the touch.  How I miss the day's when JoAnn's would buy such nice things from its jobbers! Here's a view of the back with its deep pleat:


Just for fun, I played around with various ways to style the most notable feature, the double collar.

Straight up



Both folded down



One up, one down



And most likely, open at the neck


If I make this again, I'm leaving off the button and loop detail at the neck. I want to like it, but it's a challenge to sew through all the layers involved, and not really that functional. Other than that, this shirt offers some nice details and as sewn, it will be a good base for accessories.

I'm not sure what's next. Spring has arrived, although it's still a bit chilly. I'm feeling the need to sew up spring-like fabrics such as linen. Perhaps a re-sort of the Sewing Cave is in order.

8 comments:

Dixie said...

This is a great looking basic you'll wear again and again. Your stitching is perfect! Kudos to you for making the french seams, miters etc. That's not easy sewing, but it can be so rewarding.
Nice score on the fabric. I'm amazed you found something this nice at Joann's.

Sewingadicta said...

Love that collar double! It's a point of attraction incredible on your blouse, and certainly feel like summer sewing projects with the arrival of warm weather.

Pam Erny said...

Nancy...such a lovely shirt!

Cennetta said...

Beautiful shirt. This is on my to do list too.

Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said...

It looks fantastic!

Liana said...

Beautiful! I'm betting well get to see it in Santa Fe. :)

Mary said...

Just plain beautiful!

NancyDaQ said...

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all of your comments. I wore the top to work this week, and it was very comfortable and fun to wear. I'm sure it'll be a workhorse for me.