Friday, April 22, 2016

Oscar de la Renta at the deYoung, Part 4

Are you still with me? It wouldn't be Oscar de la Renta without ball gowns and red carpet.

The final gallery featured gowns that had been worn by celebrities. From left to right: Karlie Kloss, Taylor Swift, Sarah Jessica Parker, Jessica Chastain, Amy Adams, Penelope Cruz, and Nicki Minaj.

Some closer looks...

Thanks for your indulgence in looking at all these fabulous garments. I just loved the show and had to share it with you!

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Oscar de la Renta at the deYoung, Part 3

Gardens were important to Oscar de la Renta, both in the US and his island home. This featured garments influenced by gardens and flowers.

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Oscar de la Renta at the deYoung, Part 2

Oscar de la Renta was from the Dominican Republic, so his work was strongly influenced by Spain.

He was also inspired by Asia, 

and Russia.

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Oscar de la Renta at the deYoung, Part 1

Last weekend, I had the opportunity to go to San Francisco, met with some friends, and see the Oscar de la Renta show at the deYoung Museum! It was amazing and beautiful. Rather than talk about it, let me show it to you...the next several posts are picture heavy. I hope you're ready for lots of eye candy!

The first gallery featured an city theme, which I'm featuring in this post.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Bay Area Weekend

My main reason for going to San Francisco was the opportunity to see the Oscar de la Renta exhibition at the deYoung Museum. You will see many upcoming posts about this! But as beautiful and inspiring as the show was, the weekend was also a wonderful opportunity to meet up with sewing friends.

After the exhibit, we had lunch at the museum and visited the observation tower for some fantastic views of San Francisco. From left to right, Diane, me, Liana, and Jan.

Since our hotel was near Union Square, we had many opportunities to explore.

Liana, Jan, and I brought our significant others along, but the guys did other things while we indulged our sewing and shopping activities. In addition, Tony and I spent time with family to meet our new baby grand-niece Sienna Rose. Her mom and dad live in San Francisco, and grandma and grandpa were also in town visiting from New Jersey.

On Saturday, we went to the East Bay via BART for lunch courtesy of Georgene and her husband at their loft in Oakland. Then, Georgene took us shopping in Berkeley, first to Lacis and then to Stonemountain and Daughter. Here are Georgene, Liana, and me in front of Lacis (Jan was the photographer).

Oops, no picture of Stonemountain (it was raining), but we did some fabric acquisition. We also viewed some of the sights, including a wisteria covered church where Liana captured this shot of me.

In summary, it was an exciting and fast paced visit. I'm looking forward to visiting again and seeing more of Northern California! I always love visiting there

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Textile Studio Basic Top

Now this one is a blast from the past. Textile Studio was a pattern company and fabric vendor of the 1990s-2000s owned by Marcia Day, who hired Loes Hinse to design her pattern line. Several years latter, Loes Hinse went out on her own and founded her eponymous pattern line, which is still in business.

This pattern is copyrighted 1998, so it's probably one of the original patterns from the line. I'm not sure how it ended up in my pattern stash--ASG? I rally don't recall. However it ended up with me, I'm so happy that it did! Even though this is an almost 20 year old pattern, it's a classic in the true sense of the word. And can still be found online--a Google search located it at Vogue Fabrics!

I wear a lot of separates, and I'm always looking for tops that will work with the cardigans I frequently wear at work. This pattern is perfect for the little tops I was looking for. So far, I've made it up twice, once with long sleeves and once with 3/4 length sleeves (my variation, not in the pattern envelope). Here they are on the dress form:

And on the hoof:

The color is not true in either photo, but the live shot is a little closer than the dress form version. A long ago purchase from Fabric Mart. The black top with blue, turquoise, and lime is from Cutting Line Designs. I bought it from Louise at one of her shows..

The main change I made from version 1 to version 2, other than the sleeve length, was to drop the front neckline by 1/4" inch since the original neck was a little hard to get over my head (no closure on this design).

I'm sure I'll be making more of these! It's a great layering piece that can also stand on its own. I haven't made the short sleeved version yet but that's coming.

SewWest Closet: Black Not Your Daughter's Jeans and Vigotti wedges, both old.

Thursday, April 7, 2016

A Remake of the TSW Icon Shirt--Presenting the Iconic Shirt

I've been interested in this shirt since it first appeared on The Sewing Workshop website.

I've even made one already, which was previously featured on this blog post back in 2013. But that time it only appeared on a dress form. It was made pretty much according to the pattern (I left off the pocket). But you have to admit, it's memorable:

Lots of asymmetry and a flanged side seam in addition to that interesting neck treatment. But face it, I can't see having several of these in my wardrobe. But I can envision having something similar; hence the Iconic shirt will be coming soon. I'm thinking about keeping the neckline but losing the flange, the uneven front hemline and the split back seam.

The SewWest Closet: I'm wearing a pair of black Not Your Daughter's Jeans with tan patent Viotti wedges, both old. The generic sunglasses are new.