Saturday, August 13, 2016

Cutting Line Designs, Pure and Simple Shell



This is one of those patterns that I often turn to when I need a simple top for warm weather (which is often here in Albuquerque). I currently have a couple of versions in rotation in my closet and I've made several others in past years.


This one came about when I was at my local JoAnn's picking up some thread for another project. Lately, thread has been a challenge. Although I have a whole drawer full, I never seem to have the color I need for a given garment (and recently, even ran out of white!). On my way to the thread, I noticed that the linen was on sale and a couple pieces of "tissue linen" (actually a linen and cotton blend) jumped into my cart. One of them was the bolt end of slightly less than 1 1/2 yards that became this top.

It was a pretty easy sew since I've made it several times before, so not much to say about construction except that Cutting Line's guide sheets are incredibly detailed, even for a simple top like this one. Unfortunately this pattern is out of print, but Louise Cutting has mentioned she may bring out something similar in the future.

I'll try to get a picture of this on me in the near future since the dress form really doesn't do it justice.

4 comments:

Martha said...

very pretty. the perfect antidote to hot weather. i may need to make another too.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

The fabric is indeed what makes this simple top sing! Lovely and perfect for the hot weather!

Patricia said...

That is very pretty material - I would buy that in a flash. It would suit our hot climate too, and I really like the pattern too.

Robyn said...

Pretty top! This is one of those patterns that gets used a lot.