Sunday, January 8, 2017

Instant Pot "Cooking Without Recipes" Soup


I promise you this blog is not going to become an Instant Pot blog! But I am having a lot of fun with it. This soup is based on a sort-of recipe I found on bonappetit.com, the web site of Bon Appetit magazine. It's part of their series called "Cooking Without Recipes." I basically used some things I wanted to use up in my fridge and pantry to put this soup together.

2 tablespoons (more or less) of olive oil
1 pound package of turkey breakfast sausage
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
1 quart beef broth, store bought
1 28 ounce can of tomatoes
1 pound chopped collard greens (part of a pre-chopped bag I bought for New Year)
1/2 pound dried chick peas, soaked
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
3 bay leaves

Heat oil using the saute function of the Instant Pot. Brown sausage, breaking it into pieces. When it’s cooked through and there’s good caramelization on the pieces, remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl. 


Add the onions and garlic to the Instant Pot and saute for about 8 to 10 minutes until softened and beginning to brown. Then stir in the Worcestershire, fennel seed, and red pepper flakes.
Add the beef broth and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add tomatoes and juice and stir to combine. Add collard greens, drained chick peas, basil,  oregano, and sausage. If the soup looks too thick, add some water. I think I ended up adding a tomato can's worth. Stir to combine all ingredients, turn off the saute function, and lock down the lid. Set the Instant Pot to manual at high pressure for 20 minutes. Use a natural pressure release (at least 15 minutes) before opening the Instant Pot and having your soup!







1 comment:

BarbaraShowell said...

I have the power pressure cooker- life changing these pots are, aren't they? I cook 90% of everything in them now. Of course, other people in my house cook and still use pans on the stove.