Sunday, March 23, 2014
Simple Project, Simplicity 3569 (oop)
Time for a new, simple pattern--a knit friendly nightgown. 2 main pieces and 2 facing pieces.
The fabric is a cotton knit that came from Hancock's or JoAnn's, I'm not sure which one. I just remember seeing it and thinking it would be perfect for something like this.
It was easy to make, too. Although I included the facings due to the V-neck, I changed the instructions a bit and topstitched the edge down to eliminate the potential of the facings flopping around. I worked on this for a small amount of time after returning from the mini sewing tour, and it was ready to wear to bed that night.
I cut a 10 through the neck and shoulders and a 14 for the sides. The shoulders and facings were sewn with a regular machine using 5/8" seams. I made narrow 1/4" side seams, using my serger. The finished length was dowdy on me, so I cut 8" off the lower edge before hemming with a 1/2" machine stitched hem. Now it's a little above my knees.
I'll definitely make this again, and I've already selected a couple other stash knits to use. This nightgown is so comfortable, but a step up from sleeping in a T-shirt.