The shirt was made pretty much straight from the pattern with a couple of minor changes. I topstitched the front facings down, because I just didn't see a kid wearing it any other way. I also switched out the direction of the buttonholes from horizontal to vertical--it's a shirt, not a blouse after all.
I made some changes to the pants though based on some mom and grandma advice from my sewing buddies. I added a fly zipper, and kept the elastic waistband too. Some guerrilla sewing, but everything came out well and I'm very pleased with the result.
The cargo pockets were made pretty much per the pattern.
All in all both outfits were fun to make and provided a great learning experience. I will definitely make some more kids' clothes in the future.