Sunday, July 15, 2012

Unseen Until Now

I recently discovered that I made some garments that I neglected to post, so here are a couple of them. I still owe you all a couple more. However, they're either in the laundry right now or awaiting some minor alterations. I will get those to you later.

In the meantime,  here's a maxi skirt I made from pre ruffled  fabric:




I bought a yard of it in February when I was last in Santa Fe, thinking "oh yeah, cute stuff. I'll be easy to make something out of this. I've seen it all over the internet." I decided that a one seamed Tube Skirt would be quick and simple to make, and I would use the entire piece of fabric.

Well, this stuff is wiggly, and it was very hard to match up the edges of the ruffles in a satisfactory way. My bright idea was to tape down the edges with Scotch tape, which worked brilliantly except it didn't want to release from the fabric. I spent a Saturday afternoon watching the movie "Witches of Eastwick" while attempting to peel the tape off. Frustrating--not the movie, the tape! Then I realized that a quick trip through the washer would release the adhesive--much better. After all that, the skirt air-dried very quickly and I attached some elastic to the upper edge by machine. Ta Da!! A sort-of easy skirt. I'm just happy I wasn't trying to make something with more than one seam allowance.

I also had a request for a picture of the reworked Suede Says peasant top, which I forgot to post because I've been wearing it a lot.  It's now a favorite, and I think there may be more of these in my future.




7 comments:

sdBev said...

The top is really cute. You didn't say why it is a favorite. Cool? Easy to sew? ??

I do know what you mean about the pics. I get the pics on the dressform but seldom get back to showing pics of the garment on me.

RhondaBuss said...

A pain in the neck or not, the skirt looks wonderful and I bet it is fun to wear.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

The skirt is pretty and I'm sure it's wonderful to wear since I made one just like it and love it!

Irene said...

That skirt looks like such a fun piece - to wear, because obviously it was no fun for you to sew. Definitely worth all the effort, though.

Patricia said...

That is a great skirt, very pretty and easy to wear I should think. Love the top too!

gwensews said...

Your skirt is wonderful. It's a "cha cha skirt"! Your top looks easy to wear. Good sewing!

patti said...

Two great projects, Nancy! That skirt is very cute, and worth the hassle.