Since the last time I posted, I've completed a couple new garments. Unfortunately, no pictures yet. It's unseasonably cool here today, and I don't feel like changing out of my gym pants and hoodie to model warm weather clothing. Perhaps later this week if I get a chance.
The first item is the peasant blouse I mentioned from New Look's "Suede Says" line:
Well, I got a nice garment out of this pattern but not without some angst. This one has a bound neck and sleeves as opposed to the more common elastic casings. While the binding looks lovely, it was a pain to put in, partly because the instructions called for gathering the neckline then binding it in the round! Let's just say it wasn't a fun experience.
Thankfully, I had already changed the order of construction so that the sleeve and side seams were the last to be sewn, so I was able to gather and bind those flat and then sew the sleeve shut. I shudder to think of gathering and binding those in the round.
Let's see, what other issues? The top is lower cut on me than it appears from the photo or technical drawings, and I even sized down the neckline and shoulders 2 sizes smaller than the torso. While wearable, it's a very open neckline and I had to install strap "keepers" to prevent showing too much while leaning over.
I do like the top in spite of its problems. The fabric is a lovely weight of cotton and very soft. I will probably make this garment again but with several changes such as further snugging up of the neckline and using elastic casings instead of bindings.
I also made a pair of one-seam pants using a lengthened version of TSW's Hudson Pant pattern. I chose a lightweight striped linen and wanted to avoid matching stripes at the side seams. They were quick to sew and came out pretty well. Perfect for summer weather.