Saturday, November 8, 2008

Downsizing and Reorganizing

DF is finally talking seriously about moving in with me. He's finally figured out that now isn't the right time to be selling my house. It's going to be a bit of a process though, as he'll gradually be moving in over the next 6 months, the term of his current lease. This is what happens when you're both older and have been on your own for years and years. We have to ease into changes.

As a result, I need to start making room for his things. While DF is a minimalist, he does have some stuff! Phase I is clearing out the closet and bureau in the guest bedroom so he'll have someplace to keep his clothes. As you all know, the guest room can easily become a haven for all kinds of "extra" storage and mine is no exception!! Among other things, my guest room is the auxiliary fabric spot. OMG!! I have so much fabric!! I mean, it's not like I didn't know all the yardage was in there, but this exercise has really forced me to face it.

So, last night, with the assistance of a glass of wine, I started pulling fabrics. So far, this is the discard pile:


I included fabrics from the main fabric room (I mean sewing room) as well, so I was able to create some extra space in the Wall of Sterilite and bookcase. However, this is what's left to be put away:


Looks like I'll need to get cracking on my sewing! Of course, that could lead to overflow in my clothes closets, but that's not such a bad thing... is it?

Honestly, I suspect that sewing will only be a part of it. I've been meaning for months to start auctioning on eBay, some items will go to the ASG Trading Post, Friends of the Library always seems to appreciate old books, and maybe I'll even do some giveaways here.

1 comment:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Once you sew more there is always cleaning out the closet which allows you to then give away to the Salvation Army or whomever you donate to! I know this because there are quite a few bags laying in my living room right now waiting for the 17th to arrive so the Salvation Army can come and get them!

Good luck with the merging process! And I'm glad to know that there are others out there with the same fabric sickness that I have! :)