Thursday, July 9, 2015

2015 First Day of School Project

I wasn't sure if I'd have time to participate this year, but decided to go for it during the long Independence Day weekend. I used a different pattern this time, a circa 1998 McCall's pattern that I got from the ASG Trading Post several months ago. I made the little dress featured in the photograph:



As with previous clothes I've made for First Day of School, I mostly used remnants from clothes I've made for myself. This one is made from some cotton sateen I used for a skirt. It's a little shorter than the other two due to fabric limitations, but I'm sure it will work well for some little girl.


The facing on this one is from the Vogue 8645 dress I recently posted, and the green is a faux linen that I used last year to make little girl's pants for First Day of School. The green is more olive than in the picture.


This one is made from a heavyweight rayon that I previously used for this dress:


The construction was pretty straightforward, all machine stitching and serging. I definitely will hang onto this pattern because the dresses were so easy and fast to make! I hope the girls that get these dresses will enjoy them.

5 comments:

SewingLibrarian said...

These are adorable, and I commend you for taking the time to sew for girls who aren't able to afford a new school outfit. The first dress would look cute paired with black leggings.

Tee said...

what a blessing you are!

Marsha said...

Can you tell me more about the First Day of School Project? Thank you. Adorable dresses.

me said...

What a great project. Adorable dresses.
Marciae

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy,
I just love these dresses. I'm real interested in the First Day of School project. I live in NM - Santa Fe - and am a member of ASG. We don't have a group in SF - is this project through a local ASG group? I'd love to connect more seeing as we are somewhat "local". You can reach me at my blog sewsantafe.com.
Thanks!