Saturday, May 3, 2014

Fiberly Train to Santa Fe, Part Two

There is more in Santa Fe than shopping, eating and drinking. Unfortunately, Ann had to leave Sunday morning, but the rest of us pressed forward with sightseeing.

The Cathedral is right next to La Fonda, and many of us stopped by during the weekend:


The Cathedral was built in the 1900s under Archbishop Lamy, whose life was the basis of the novel Death Comes for the Archbishop. It's quite ornate inside and still an active place of worship and a parish, unlike many of the other historic church buildings in Santa Fe.

This statue of St. Francis (patron saint of Santa Fe) is on the less public side of the Cathedral, on the right:


This statue of La Conquistadora is nearby:


Santa Fe is an art center, and you can find many galleries and sculptures throughout the city. I found this one near the Cathedral. Look at that dragon! It wraps around the building.


The museum of the Institute of American Indian Arts is also located nearby. This is a view of the sculpture garden from the street:



This beautiful lady was found in a nearby courtyard of the museum:


Patti and I visited the New Mexico Museum of Art and found Liana and Jan there:


Jan
Liana


The entrance to the galleries goes through a courtyard with frescoes of Native American life.





Afterward, we visited the New Mexico History Museum/Palace of the Governors.  We were fortunate to have an excellent docent on our guided tour of the Palace, which dates back to early Spanish colonial times. She was an excellent presenter and really made the history come alive as she walked us through the exhibits.

Several people went to Canyon Road with its concentration of art galleries. Here are Margy and Sharon as they explored.

Margy
Sharon







































Before our last dinner together at the Blue Corn Cafe, we met at Sharon and Margy's room for show and tell.

Margy and me enjoying the fireplace. Nice!

Jan, Liana,  Patti (partially hidden), and Margy comparing purchases

Admiring Margy's new jacket from Babette

Been there, bought the T-shirts!

Jan,  Liana, and Sharon admiring some new earrings 

Jan sharing her purchases

All too soon, we departed on Monday to our homes. It was a wonderful weekend with old and new friends. I'm so glad all of you had a chance to visit my state and share such a special time together.

6 comments:

Margy said...

Love, love love! The success of the weekend was due in no small part to your outstanding organizing skills...thank you, Nancy (and Tony, too)!

shams said...

What a frabjous time we had, Nancy! Thanks, in no small part, to your wonderful organizational skills. You and Tony were also gracious hosts and I thank you.

One (minor) correction. I was holding those green earrings, but they weren't mine. I think that Jan bought them?

ACorgiHouse said...

Looks like so much fun! You are also doing some great PR for Santa Fe, I need to add it to my list of places yet to see :) K

Miasews said...

You are all making me so homesick!

NancyDaQ said...

Sharon, thanks for reminding me! I've updated that caption. I'm glad you had a good time! So nice to meet you at last.

Margy, what I said to Sharon also applies to you.

Karen, definitely add it to your list.

Carole, I had forgotten that you were a New Mexican. I hope you can make a visit before too long!

Dixie said...

How good of you to organize what looks like a fabulous weekend! I'm seriously jealous of each of you, for the time you spent together. Makes me want to visit NM again soon!