Monday, September 16, 2013

TSW Eureka Skirt and Another Kwik Sew T

Both of these are patterns I've made before. The skirt is from TSW's Eureka Top and Skirt pattern, that I originally made last winter from a cottony knit fabric.

This time, I used a poly knit I bought from Gorgeous Fabrics some time ago (no longer in stock).  Since brown is not my best color, I knew it would have to be a skirt. I love the drape but oh man, was it difficult to sew! I'm sure that some of the difficulty was self-inflicted--I tried a stretch needle and a universal, neither of which worked very well until I started placing strips of water soluable stabilizer between the fabric and the feed dogs.  I probably need to look into purchasing some ball point needles? In spite of all that, the skirt was fun to make. There are 2 basic pieces, each cut twice, that fit together like a puzzle. The first time I made it, I cut the lower piece on the bias. This time, I didn't bother and it worked fine while using a little less fabric. Because the drape of the fabric was so nice, I didn't bother to finish the hem edge. Works fine, as this is a knit that doesn't curl or run. 

The T is from my usual T pattern, the OOP Kwik Sew 2565 you've seen in many previous incarnations. I discovered this knit in my stash--it has a cottony hand with synthetic threads mixed in. It's not as sheer on me as it appears on the dress form; it's actually thicker than a lot of knits I work with. I'm not sure if this will be the ultimate pairing of top and skirt, but this is a T that can be worn with a lot of items in my wardrobe. 

1 comment:

Coco said...

What a super good looking skirt! I love the way it flares below the hip and doesn't have a lot of fabric above. I'm definitely going to look at this pattern!