I've worn it at least 3 times--yes, that's how much I like it! I wish I knew how to get more of this fabric because it looks great and was so much easier to handle than I expected.
I added a little extra detailing to the vest. Probably no one but me will see it but I'll know it's there. And now, so will you.
You've already seen the lining...
But I added a little something extra to finish off the edges of the armholes and hem...
This is basically a Hong Kong finish. I used a mini check rayon blend suiting left over from another project; it's a rayon blend suiting that I just love. I probably could have just serged the edges, but this is so much nicer, don't you think?
After I applied it to the raw edges, I folded back the allowances and top stitched through all layers where the binding joined the outer fabric. I slip stitched the edge down on the hem but didn't have time to do the same to the armholes. Ahh, well. Looks fine from both sides and I like the more dimensional look of the bound edge not being tacked down.
And on the the next projects!
- I had one last big piece of the mini check suiting left, so I cut a Loes Hinse Boot Skirt from it. The picture below is the longer version but I'm making the shorter one, View C. To avoid having the skirt "velcro" to my legs when I wear tights, I underlined it with leftover charmeuse from the vest. This should be a quick project.
- A young couple that DH and I are friends with are having their wedding celebration Thursday night at a local hotel, so I decided that I would need a dress for that. So at December's Material Girls meeting, I cut out a cocktail dress from some EOS buttermilk jersey I had in the stash--it features a lace print and the fabric is dusted with tiny metallic gold dots. And if I don't get it done, I'll improvise something else for the wedding and wear it for New Year's Eve instead. I'm using McCall's 6069, a popular cowl dress that's been all over the sewing blogosphere (unfortunately now out of print). I'm making View B, the sleeved version.
- I also still have that Kwik Sew 2565 t shirt cut out and ready to go. I actually had this traced and cut at November's Material Girls, but I decided that the torso should be double layers because the fabric has some sheer bits. I got that done at December's gathering.