Friday, January 21, 2011

Lagniappe: Scarf Ring

For this project, I revisited the olive diamond patterned knit I used to make a Loes Hinse Cowl Top. I didn't have a lot of fabric left, but there was an 18" piece at the end that was the full width. Not much, but more than I'd want to just toss. What to do with such a small piece?

My inspiration was a recent J. Jill catalog that featured a couple of sweaters with removable cowls, the perfect way to make my top more versatile and use that remnant.





I've been seeing scarves like this on lots of sewing sites and in RTW. The NY Times has gone so far as to declare convertible clothing a trend.

It would have been simple enough to wing it, but I used directions from a recent Vogue Patterns Magazine since I had them. Basically, sew a tube, beginning and ending the stitching about 4" from the ends of the fabric. Turn right side out and sew the ends of the tube together. Hand stitch the opening closed. Done! This quick shot shows what it looks like with the original garment:


My scarf ended up 64" in circumference and 8 1/2" wide, a generously sized scarf. While I first envisioned just a cowl neck, this is a good bit larger. It needs to be looped twice around the neck to look like a cowl.  I'm sure there are other configurations that I'll discover as I wear it. The scarf will also go with other items in my closet.

I'm never going to be one of those sewists who feels that she has to use every inch of fabric left over from a project. However, playing with remnants is a low-stress way to play around and think a little bit out of the box.

9 comments:

Little Hunting Creek said...

what a great idea and so versatile!

Duchesse said...

I like those endless scarves. (I thought at first you were referring to the metal scarf ring- which I have and never seem to feel right wearing.)

Gigi said...

I love that!

gwensews said...

Terrific idea. I put that cowl in the category of "detachables"--detachable collars, cuffs, linings, pockets, straps, etc.

Scarf said...

This is really amazing Scarf look like something different.

sdBev said...

This is an amazing idea. I made at least 2 tops this year where the turtle neck is too high to be comfortable on me. I feel like I'm choking on too much fabric. I'm pretty sure I have enough fabric to make a scarf and then remove the turtle. Then I'd have a current looking garment, comfortable for wear and classic enough to be worn next year., Nanflan, you are a genius.

Linda L said...

I am seeing more of these neck rings also and one lady in our ASG Chapter has made several from different fabrics using the Vogue Pattern instructions. A nice addition to the top!

materfamilias said...

What a good way to use excess fabric AND get another look.

Scarf Slide said...

That is so creative!