Sunday, October 18, 2009
I picked up a Wine Enthusiast bulletin board kit when Linen and Things went under last fall and had its liquidation sale. Since then, I've been saving corks, no mean feat when quality winemakers are moving to screw top bottles. I recently determined that I finally had enough and started glueing, using the glue provided in the kit. Not a great experience--first of all, the glue doesn't work well with artificial corks (another winemaker trend). And second, you are instructed to "glue generously" but there wasn't nearly enough provided. So I busted out my handy hot glue gun and attached the corks Friday night while DF watched the baseball game in his Man Cave.
I had planned to use it as a bulletin board in our office but DF really liked it. He said it would be a shame to cover it up and suggested that we hang it as decor in the kitchen/dining room area. Great idea, but it can be hard to find wall space in an open plan house. And of course, the hanger provided in the kit is missing a screw and can't be installed. So until I locate another one and decide on the right space, I'm displaying the cork board on a plate stand.
Despite my quibbles about the kit, I like it too. It was a fun and easy project, and I'm happy with the results. I still need a bulletin board for my office, though.
I also got a little sewing done this weekend, attaching the neck facing on the Pure and Simple Shell I've been working on for what seems like forever! Fingers crossed, but it should be done soon. I also did some (ugh) mending for DF, removing the cuffs from his worn out Ralph Lauren long sleeve polo shirt. The darn thing is worn out but he's attached to it for some strange reason. And it's not as if this is the only one he has, either. Ah, well...