Sunday, August 10, 2008

More on Vintage Goddess aka Crossover Bodice Dresses

Gigi recently wrote about a couple of "vintage goddess" dresses she'd won on eBay. They're circa 1970's dresses that feature crossover treatments on the front. Well, it dawned on me that I also had a couple of dress patterns with that feature from a different era, and I mentioned that I'd post them to the blog. Interestingly (to me anyway), the dresses I had in mind were from both ends of the 1990's.

Here's the 1990 version:



Still a lot of 1980's influence in this one, but classic. I'm considering a work dress from View A or B.

Then there's this one from 1999, the other side of the decade. Less structure, less pleating. Definitely a minimalist take on the crossover style:



I like this one, too, a lot. I'd make any of the views, but the length would be short like View A regardless of the sleeves. Long doesn't look right to me at this time.

2 comments:

Gigi said...

I really love the first one, it has an almost 40s feel to it. Funny, I must have been busy during the 90s as I don't remember either one of these patterns!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Love that first one! It's a little Joan Collins, but only in a good way. I would definitely wear View B.