Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Vacation, Day 5

Another day of taking things easy around the house.


I worked on a hemming project that's been underway for a while now. I had several skirts that went from looking ok to dowdy as a result of their length, so I've been shortening them. Most are now around 33" long vs. 36". A yard of skirt is very long when you're 5'4" even when most of your height is in your legs. I got 4 more done yesterday, all of which were narrow machine hems, so don't feel too bad for me.


I stopped by Hancock's and picked up more supplies for the cacti top. You know how green is. There are a zillion shades and of course I had nothing close. I'd fudged up till this point, but if the stitching's going to show I want a closer match than medium sage.

I also picked up some bias binding for the armscyes and picked out...hot pink. There were no premade tapes close enough, so I'm picking up the flower color instead. Of course, that change required thread too, but now I can do some accent stitching. After looking at the photo, I think the top needs a little something and maybe the pink thread will help that. Yes, I know I can make my own bias tape. It just isn't something I was in the mood to do. Oh yeah, I got some buttons too. And some notions for the brown and white version of the top.


And given my previous rant on Hancock's slow service, I'll mention that it was attentive and prompt this time. The sales clerk even called out to me as I headed for the register, saying that she'd be right with me as soon as she finished cutting for another customer. That was good.


Ross Dress for Less is located in the same shopping center as Hancock's so I stopped there too. This one usually has some good items if you can make it through the dreck. I found 2 acceptable work ensembles (ummm, both are black), a basic work skirt (black again), a casual skirt (Columbia! I love them!), and a super pair of Timberland clogs for the winter.


Off to the gym, followed by the grocery. I decided to make myself a steak dinner and some homemade peach daiquiri "ice cream" for dessert. Anyway, that's what the article from the Albuquerque Journal calls it, including the quotes. It was published in July 1988, which is a couple of months after I moved here from Florida. It's really frozen yogurt, but maybe that was too exotic back then! No credit was provided, but given the newspaper photo, my guess is Donvier. I got a Donvier ice cream maker as a wedding gift in 1987, and they were pretty popular back then. I still have it, and I used it to make my treat last night:



Peach Daiquiri "Ice Cream"

1 large fresh peach, pitted and quartered (about 1 1/2 cup)

1/2 cup light corn syrup

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 teaspoon lime zest

1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice

2 teaspoons dark rum

1 pint plain low-fat yogurt

Combine first 6 ingredients in blender or food processor, whirl until smooth. Add yogurt and whirl just until mixed. Chill thoroughly. Pour into chilled cylinder of 1 quart ice cream maker. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve at once or pack into freezing containers for storage. Makes 7 servings.

Per 1/2 cup serving size: 145 calories, 4 grams protein, 31 grams carbohydrate, 1 gram fat, 4 milligrams sodium, 188 milligrams potassium.

Changes I made: I had a beautiful white peach so that's what I used. The flavor is a little milder than traditional peaches. I bought white rum by accident instead of dark, so that's what I used. Also, I typically have non-fat plain yogurt on hand, so I used it instead of making a special purchase of low-fat.

In the past, I've made a strawberry margarita variation of this by substituting 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries for the peach and 2 teaspoons of tequila for the rum. Using this basic recipe, you can probably come up with several variations with different fruits and liquors!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding your blouse and the pink thread, etc., I have the habit of trying to match, match, and match some more. I have to force myself to think outside the box and do contrasting stitching or whatnot. I think you will be happy with your decision. Bet the blouse will end up looking great!

Lori said...

Glad to see someone else's Donvier ice cream maker being put to use ;-)