Tuesday, January 16, 2007

SWAP 2007: Update

The first garment is ready to be sewn. I'm making the cream T-shirt first because it's a TNT (tried n true). I also discovered that it does have a right and wrong side! It's a tubular knit, with a narrow rib. Well, that was the back side. When I washed the fabric again, I discovered that the right side still has ribs, but every 5th or 6th one is done with a fancier knit stitch. So, it's a lot more interesting than I thought it would be.

MaryT asked what pattern I'll be using for my reversible jacket. I'm planning on the Loes Hinse Kimono Jacket pattern. The fabrics I have in mind aren't real heavy, so I think doubling the layers will be ok. The black is a wool blend crepe. The teal/black is mystery fabric, rayon, I think. It has a fairly open weave.

The slinky is beautiful, the photos don't do it justice. I am a little afraid of it though. While I love wearing slinky, my experience with sewing it is somewhat limited. That's why I'm using my TNT Kwik Sew T-shirt pattern. With an untested fabric, I prefer working with a known pattern. I hope I have enough left for a skirt--not necessarily for the SWAP, but as a bonus garment. The two pieces together could become an ensemble

No comments: