Saturday, January 20, 2007

Here we go again...

Yet another snowstorm has hit New Mexico, beginning yesterday in the Southern part of the state. Last night, it finally made it in to Albuquerque, and I had hopes for a light dusting.

Nope, no such luck. It started again this morning. And it looks like it will continue for a while. My poor cacti. The prickly pear in the photo is the centerpiece of the xeriscape in my front yard. The snow from the last big storm finally melted off a few days ago, and now it's getting covered again. Now, this is a big, hardy plant that's about 12 years old, so it's survived several winters. But I don't know. It's looking kind of mashed right now.

I hope we don't have the side effects from this storm that we had New Year's weekend. It took 2 weeks to get the snow removed from streets, sidewalks, and parking lots. I only fell once (no damage) but it wasn't pleasant.

I realize I probably sound like a big baby, but winter in New Mexico is typically sunny and mild. Cold enough that you know it's winter, but you can throw on a jacket or some polarfleece and be good to go. The snow is on the mountains where it's pretty to look at and fun to play in (if you choose). But snow is not so much fun in town because it quickly becomes icy and a general pain to deal with. Not to mention that I probably won't get to see DBF because his little sports car can't handle more than a couple inches of snow. Wahhhh!!!

1 comment:

Steffi said...

Hello!
The snowstorm sounds not good!Here in Germany we had at the last weeks weather like in spring but normally we have at this time winter!!The weather is crazy!I my garden began to bloom the spring flowers like in March!that´s not normally!

My hobby is sewing too!

Greetings from here toNew Mexico! Steffi