Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Zen for Dia De Los Muertos, Part One


It's become a bit of a tradition for me to make a garment for the fall holiday season. Sometimes it's for Halloween, but this year it's definitely Dia De Los Muertos. I bought the fabric at Nob Hill Fabrics here in town, and it features Mexican Loteria figures as skeletons.

Because the print is a grid, I wanted to use a pattern that I was already familiar with. Sewing Workshop to the rescue! I've made the Zen Shirt twice before. It's the one on the left in the picture below. The design doesn't have a lot of pieces to match up and has fairly straight lines.


I cut out the main pattern pieces and purchased notions this weekend, so I'm ready to go. I've reviewed the instructions, and while Sewing Workshop always features interesting techniques, I want this to be an easy sew. Instead of the French seams featured in the instructions (which are lovely), I'll be sewing a regular seam with a serged finish.  I'm also considering a different collar vs. the double collar featured on the pattern since it's distinctive, and I've already made two like that already. Perhaps a band or a mandarin style this time around. Stay tuned to see what I come up with.

4 comments:

Martha said...

Looking forward to your Now shirt.

theresa said...

Love that Day of the Dead print. I bought some of it here in Tucson and used it for pillows. Fabrics That Go, a local store, carries Day of the Dead fabric so whenever I need some "retail" therapy I pay a visit to see if they have added a print that must come home with me. With Halloween coming up, I'm due a visit. Enjoy your shirt.

Theresa in Tucson

Rhonda Buss said...

This is going to be so much fun.

Lyrique Threads said...

I have never developed an appreciation for the loteria figures, but boy do I like this fabric print in this pattern. You make this bit of cultural pollination fun, and it looks absolutely great, too! Well done!

The snake-in-the-road admirer :-)