Sunday, November 18, 2012

This Weekend, I Cooked

Today was my turn to share lunch hosting at Vestry. Two of us do it each month, and it usually works out to twice a year. Not bad. However it meant that this week's creativity was in the kitchen instead of the Sewing Cave. I made two dishes, soup and dessert.


photo: Fine Cooking Magazine

The soup recipe came courtesy of Fine Cooking Magazine, a sister publication of Threads. I don't remember signing up for its emails but I've been getting them for a while now. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what to make, when Chicken Soup with Lime and Hominy appeared in my mailbox earlier this week. Familiar, yet different than our usual New Mexican style food. It went over very well with the group.


Photo: justataste.com

For dessert, something sweet and seasonal but not too heavy. This recipe for Cranberry Orange Juice Bread came from Just a Taste, via Pinterest. I didn't prepare the batter quite the same way since I wanted my KitchenAid to do the work, but it came out very tasty regardless.The tartness of the cranberries contrasted nicely with the rich, orange batter. I doubled the recipe, so I still have a loaf left over (yum!). Next time, I think I'll use mini loaf pans, which will be great for gift giving.

DH and I are going out for dinner on Turkey Day, so no slaving in the kitchen on Thursday. I'm hoping I can get some sewing done instead! We shall see.

No comments: