Sunday, December 4, 2011
Stella is Done!
I love this top! It was a lot of fun to make, I solved the dye issue, and I've got something new to wear for the holidays. I'm even looking forward to making more.
I did make a couple of changes from the pattern--not that there's anything wrong with the pattern. These were just modifications that suit my own personal preferences. I narrowed the sleeves to a smaller circumference, better with a knit and my small wrists. I also shortened the top 2", a better length for my short-waisted self.
The dye issue appears to have been solved with a wash in Synthrapol followed by another complete wash cycle in plain water after that. No dye on my hands during the final stages of sewing, hooray!! Now I can wear it without worrying about turning my skin a different color.
A couple of other things-- the sleeves appear to be bracelet length on the pattern illustration, but they're full length on me. And that's fine. Just something to remember if you're a shorter person (I'm 5'4"). I also cut out the cowl on grain since I used a knit, and I increased the depth of the neck's facing/hem. I would have cut it double but didn't have enough fabric. I think Terri K. was the one who made both of these changes on a knit dress she made from this pattern, but darned if I can find the post!
I can easily see making this again. It's a great top, but it would also be great as a tunic to wear with leggings or as a dress.