Saturday, April 23, 2011
Simplicity 9570 Skirt: Finally Completed!
This project has been on the back burner for a long time. I originally blogged about starting this skirt a year ago. I covered the pattern details pretty well then so I'm not going to repeat them here; I hope that's ok. I have no idea why I delayed this one over a year. After all, I've used this pattern many times and I love the fabric. Life just got in the way, I guess.
The fabric is a polyester from JoAnn's that dates back to 2006. Proof that even they get it right sometimes! Nice print, good colors, no sequins or glitter. The base fabric is more substantial than is typical for JoAnn's chiffon/georgette types and has a twill weave. Unfortunately, it appears to be a one-off, as I haven't seen another bolt of anything similar.
I added a lining even though the fabric didn't seem especially sheer. For that, I just cut the front and back skirt pieces from the lining fabric and basted the assembled pieces to the fold of the casing. I trimmed the excess lining near and pressed the casing down. I edgestitched at the fold to keep the lining in place, then completed the casing as normal. The lining is hemmed with the chiffon hem from Claire Shaeffer's book, High Fashion Sewing Secrets. I wish I had done the same for the flounce hem, but it's acceptable, and I'm not ripping it out at this point for a relatively minor adjustment. However, I'll need to remember for next time since it's such a nice finish.