Saturday, July 17, 2010

More Life Changes

I was laid off my job Thursday afternoon. While it was a painful and shocking experience, it's amazing how quickly I'm getting over it. I give a lot of the credit to DH, who has been incredibly supportive. I have a financial cushion, which helps immensely.

I had already initiated a job search months ago, so that's well underway.

In the meantime, I have some unexpected free time. As Martha Stewart says, A Good Thing. Hopefully, that will mean time to take care of myself. I've already started going to the nearby Snap Fitness on a more regular schedule. The house will be cleaner. I don't plan on becoming a clean freak, but there are definitely things you let go when you have no time. We'll be eating better. Kind of the same thing as the cleaning. I enjoy cooking and I'll actually have time to prepare decent meals! I'll have more time to pursue community activities--I'm active with my church and serve on a committee with Big Brothers Big Sisters.

And, more time to sew! Because I'll be home for a while, I need more casual clothes. And I have a big stash built up. I've had more time to sew by buying than actual time in front of a machine because of work. So I can supplement my wardrobe at no additional cost. Casual clothes are fun and easy to make--look forward to seeing me whip some out and posting them to the blog.

I'm sure I'll be on an emotional rollercoaster for a while yet but overall, I'm OK.

20 comments:

Maryissewfast said...

Sorry to hear about the lay off, but perhaps it is a blessing in disguise. Better things await you. Enjoy your time off as you plan your next adventure!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I'm sorry to hear that you've been laid off but I'm glad that you are seeing the glass as half filled instead of half empty. I know you will be fine in time and I'm really glad that DH is there supporting you!

Debbie Cook said...

So sorry to hear of this, but I firmly believe everything happens for a reason - even if we don't immediately feel that way. In the meantime, enjoy all that free time and your newly-extended honeymoon. ;-)

Mariela Alethia said...

Sorry to hear of this, maybe it is a blessing in disguise.

LindaC said...

I'm so sorry to hear this, but your attitude is so good. This is just one of life's valleys. Without the valleys, the peaks wouldn't be so high. Wow, that's good. I'll have to remember that myself. :)

Linda T said...

Hang in there--something good will come along and in the meantime, enjoy!

Karin van D. said...

I'm so sorry to hear the bad news about your job. I hope you'll find a wonderful new job anytime soon. And until then, enjoy the time you have for yourself and take good care of yourself, rest and relax. We all can use that from time to time. xx

Mardel said...

Oh I am sorry to hear this but happy to hear that your attitude is good and you have good support including having already started the search. Hang in there.

a little sewing said...

Wow, sorry to hear about this turn of events. I can only imagine how shocking and painful that must have been. Nice to hear what a good attitude you are taking.

CarlaF-in Atlanta said...

I'm sorry that you're going through this. Take it one day at a time and know that your job does NOT define who you are. It is just one of many aspects of your life. Best wishes and hang in there.

Catherine said...

So sorry to hear about your job. Things are rough all over and I see many around me in the same situation but no financial cushion. Best of luck.

shams said...

I have no new sentiment to add to the great sentiments already expressed, but, best wishes! Down the road, I do suspect you will feel it was for the best. Hang in there!

meredithp said...

You have a great attitude, and believe me you are not alone. Have fun with your home-centered pursuits. And here's hoping the economy improves for everyone!

Gigi said...

I'm so sorry! I know how it is as I've been out of work for awhile myself. It does have it's ups and downs but I'm getting a lot of sewing done and my yard looks fantastic. :-)

Little Hunting Creek said...

How well I know about this experience! Keep a happy attitude and enjoy your time off. Soon you'll have a new job and you'll miss your "vacation"

Duchesse said...

Whew. Sorry to hear this but guessing you either thought it was a risk or wanted a new chapter, as you had already begun a search. Grateful that your circumstances allow you to enjoy certain dimensions of the hiatus.

Sharon Sews said...

Yikes, so sorry to hear about you being laid off from your job. But I'm glad to know you're getting over it quickly, have been job hunting and have a financial cushion. In between the job search be sure to enjoy some quality sewing time!

sewing spots said...

I've enjoyed your wedding dress constuction posts and will look forward to more sewing due to the increased free time! Good luck with the job search!

Linda L said...

So sorry to read about your being laid off. Keep up the positive feelings and as you noted you began a job search earlier, so you are ahead of the search curve. Enjoy the "me" time.

Janis said...

So sorry, Nan. Take a good rest and enjoy the time you have at home. Best wishes to you in your job hunt, as well.