Sunday, November 22, 2009

New Project: OOP Butterick 3201


This pattern is circa 2001 but I just love the shape, a narrow A-line. I've made it a couple of times before, so I've got the fitting issues worked out.



This time, I'm making it from a lightweight wool challis that I bought from FabricMart last year, so the fabric is practically new!

I plan on lining the skirt for comfort and convenience, and there might be some additional changes as well. The pattern features a faced contour waist with a drawstring. That's a little more casual look than I want for this fabric, so I'll either apply the facing sans drawstring or bind the edge with a bias strip of the fabric.

I also need to search out my invisible zipper feet. For the first time in a while, I'm actually making something that calls for a zipper and the invisible type is the simplest one for me. It just so happens that the newest Palmer/Pletsch "Fit for Real People" has instructions for an invisible zip, so I'll add that to the information I refer to when installing.

2 comments:

Duchesse said...

That casual phrase "I've got the fitting issues worked out" made my blood run cold. That's why I abandoned sewing, and why my skirts looked like laundry bags. Ruined a lot of fabric and never got the issues worked out. And... does it have a drawstring AND a zipper? Nice shape, beautiful floral.

Marji said...

LOL, I totally understand that a piece of fabric that is just a year old is "new"! Very pretty floral.
BTW, check out Els tutorial on installing invisible zips using a reg zipper foot and a seam that is presewn. Excellent tutorial. I use her method sometimes and my #35 foot the rest of the time.