Sunday, December 30, 2007

On a More Positive Note...

My sister's niece is getting married in a fancy Long Island wedding in August. Black tie, so of course a nice dress is going to be required. I'm already starting to develop some ideas for a fabulous designer gown.

I've been wanting to buy this pattern, so now I have an excuse:



The back is a touch bare, but perhaps I could bring it up a little higher. Otherwise, it's "hello, long line backless, strapless bra!" A nice plus to this design is that it's designed for knits, which would make it easier to travel with.

There are other possibilities already in my stash too. Like View B of this Bellville Sassoon from 1995:



I've loved this pattern for a long time. However, I think I'm past the age where I can have that large of a bow on my butt. Maybe I could change it to a smaller bow, substitute some Dior roses, or eliminate it altogether.


Or View A of this Givenchy:



I love how the neckline is draped and twisted to create the effect of a bow. Although this is a 1997 pattern, I think it still looks current.

Or this Issey Miyake from 2003:



I'd eliminate the asymmetric godets on the front of the skirt, but otherwise leave it as is. It's more bohemian than the others, but since I'm the New Mexico relative I can probably get away with it. This one's another pattern for knits.


So, any thoughts?

8 comments:

carole said...

This issey might just do you in with all the angles etc. Hope you've stitched him before you tackle this one or leave lots of time and extra material! I think it is the most outstanding one especially as the relative from NM. Hope to see it when you finish.

Anonymous said...

I vote for the Givenchy! Wear it with some killer jewelry and it would be stunning.

Debbie Cook said...

A L.I. wedding means every imaginable outfit will be there. :wink: I vote for the Givenchy too. Second choice is the Laroche vogue, without raising the back. It's going to be August!

Sarah said...

The Guy Laroche is fabulous---it being a knit makes it even more fabulous! The back is really amazing.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Add another vote for the Givenchy - it looks very Long Islandy...

Raesha D said...

I love the first Vogue one and I love the Issey one too:)

Bonnie O. said...

The Guy Laroche!!! I like how it's "Oh Dahling, I'm so sophisticated" from the front and then you turn around and WHAM, it's hot hot hot!"

I just added this one to my list.

carolyndh said...

Givenchy is my favorite! I love the effect of the "bow" as you say in the front. I think it still looks current as well.