Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend

I spent most of my weekend chilling out, that doesn't mean there wasn't anything sewing-related.

Actually, there was a big sewing event--I bought a new BabyLock Evolve on Saturday! I've been wanting a new machine for a while, and have been debating about getting a new sewing machine. But I mostly do garment sewing, and my current sewing machine, a Brother 8500, is fine for that. My little old BabyLock Protege has been a workhorse; I bought it at House of Fabrics (mumble mumble) years ago. And it's still a fine machine, too. So what to do? When the Aesthetics Guild at St. Michael's was setting up for Easter, I got a chance to play around with my friend SueEllen's Evolve--and well, I wanted one, too. My birthday's coming up soon, so "Happy Birthday" to me!!

I got the Evolve set up this afternoon and got it threaded for a regular 4-thread overlock, which actually works! There's a lot to learn, but it's great to have a new toy. The introductory class is June 16, but you can bet I'll be working with it in the meantime.

I also got the third pair of pajama pants done last night and this morning. I used the Protege because I wanted an easy and quick project to work on, and I knew there would be a learning curve with the Evolve.

I also went by Jo-Ann's this afternoon and found some nice fabrics in the clearance section. All of the clearance was 50% off, too. No pictures right now, the pieces are all either in the washer or dryer. With the exception of the chenille knit in shades of gray and black, it's all usable now. The other pieces are: pale blue embroidered linen; floral rayon/linen in shades of orange, fuschia, and turquoise on a cream background; cotton kung-fu girl print; poly brown and white floral; and light tan stretch lace.

I also picked up a couple of Simplicity patterns on sale: 3744 (the Threads pattern that Carolyn blogged about a couple of days ago),

and 3827, a princess seam dress and top with an empire line.

The last one is Simplicity "It's So Easy" 4223, a little top with Asian accents. This one wasn't on sale, but it was only $2.99.

1 comment:

Raesha D said...

HI!!! I saw your comment on Sew Little Thyme and I had to come over ....I'm in Albuquerque too!! It looks like you are either in ABQ or Santa Fe. We should have a get together when MeLisa gets here:):)