Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Another Now Shirt, Modified

Since I'm on staycation and can set my own schedule, I started another project yesterday afternoon after finishing up the TSW Liberty shirt. Yet another Now Shirt, but this time I changed the collar for a different look. I substituted  the Tuxedo shirt  collar from this 1997 book by Sandra Betzina:






As luck would have it, the pattern piece fit the neckline without requiring any redrafting. But oh boy, did I have difficulty with attaching this collar! I actually made this shirt when the book first came out, and it was a favorite. In spite of all that, I could not decipher the instructions, even with my notes:



So I improvised, which required more handwork and a later night than I intended. But the collar is attached and I'm ready to go. Here is the work-in progress so far:


Collar detail:



As you might have guessed, I'm on a little bit of a deadline with this one as I would like to wear it for the Halloween/Dia De Los Muertos season. I found this fabric as my friend Melisa's store this summer when she hosted Material Girls. Unlike a lot of holiday fabrics, this one is good quality and I don't think it's too over the top. I will actually wear it other times.


After all, if a bat print is good enough for Marc Jacobs, how can I go wrong? And my fabric is prettier IMO.

6 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I remember that book! I loved that book! Used it for years...the collar looks fantastic. What a fun shirt!

theresa said...

Nancy, nice shirt. I have that book and patterns as well but have never made anything from it. Since I have a thing for "Dia de los Muertos" fabric and seem to find and make a new print every Halloween, a new shirt pattern to try will be most welcome, so thanks for the suggestion. Your print is very subtle. It's not 'til you look closer that you see the cobwebs and skulls. I have a "Dia de los Muertos" shirt dress in black and cream toile.

Theresa in Tucson

shams said...

I have this book too, but have never used mine. The collar looks great!

NancyDaQ said...

I love the idea of your Dia de los Muertos toile!

NancyDaQ said...

I made a bunch of clothes based on that book, and good tips too! If only I could remember how to assemble that tux collar...

patti said...

Love this, Nancy! Enjoy the staycation.