Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fabric Shopping, Meet-up, Retreat in Northern NM

I was on the road last weekend in Northern New Mexico, primarily for the annual Vestry retreat at Ghost Ranch in Abiquiu. Beautiful place, but no cell phone or internet access. Yes, a few such places still exist!

The trip started on Friday morning. After throwing some clothes into my wheelie bag and stopping by the supermarket to pick up supplies for Saturday's breakfast, I hit the road up to Santa Fe and a visit to Santa Fe Fabrics. I've been meaning to visit for the past year or so, but didn't have the chance until this time. Nice shop, good fabrics, friendly staff, and tiny. They will be moving to a larger space in the same strip center soon according to the ladies cutting my order. It's nice to see that they're doing well. All the fabric stores I used to visit in Santa Fe are gone and there was a hole in the market that needed filling. These are premium fabrics, so the prices reflect that. However, I'm willing to pay for quality natural fiber fabric--beautiful stuff and a pleasure to work with.

I bought two pieces, green cotton with an interesting weave and a lightweight wool/rayon blend jersey. The cotton will become another pair of TSW Hudson Pants, while the jersey will become a long or 3/4 sleeved t-shirt.



After shopping, I headed up to Los Alamos for lunch with Wendy H, a cyber friend from Pattern Review and Stitcher's Guild. It was nice to meet her in person for the first time, although we already knew each other through message boards. It was a lovely time, but I wish I had remembered to take a picture! Maybe next time...hopefully soon.

Then up to Abiquiu for the Vestry. Although our group is the governing body of our parish, most of our time was spent getting to know each other so we can better work together as a team. We also had several sessions to discuss An Altar in the World, the book St. Michael's is studying and reading as part of Lent. Once again, I neglected photography this time. But these pictures from last year will give you an idea of what the surroundings were like. No wonder Georgia O'Keeffe was enchanted by this area.

No comments: