Saturday, June 28, 2008

Butterick 4467 Morphed Top and Sash

I completed another version of this top. I borrowed the neckline from this TNT dress pattern, Simplicity 8566.

I've made this pattern a bunch of times for cool and casual summer dresses. One of the great things about the neckline is that it's large enough that you can pull the garment over your head--no closures required. But at the same time, it's not too low cut. Perfect.

Basically what I did to morph was to overlay the Simplicity bodice pieces over the Butterick pieces, then retrace. The neckline and shoulders came from the Simplicity, and the rest of the garment came from the Butterick. Surprisingly, the shoulders on both lined up pretty well. A nice side benefit was that I was able to eliminate the center back seam so the back bodice could be cut on the fold. This was important because my fabric had a large print, and I didn't have a whole lot of it. Cutting on the fold meant no need for pattern matching.

Once the pattern was morphed, the top came together quickly, and my brown and white skirt now has a mate!

I also had a little bit of fabric left, so I decided to make the sash from this pattern. I adapted it too, making the sash narrower so it would fit. Although it doesn't show in this photo, having the sash really makes the top and skirt look like a dress instead of separates.

With the morphs I've done, I feel that this top has become a TNT that I'll make again and again. And as a bonus, the sash will become an accessories TNT as well.


fabricluver (Susan) said...

I love that fabric - you have a great looking outfit!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Nan - what a great dress for work!!!

Bonnie D. said...

Love the dress. I made a top last year from that same fabric! LOVE IT!

Bonnie D. said...

Oh wait! I just realized it's a top and skirt. Just adorable!

Linda said...

I have this same fabric and I have this pattern. I always liked that pattern. The last time I used it was a lightweight denim fabric that I embroiderer butterflies diagonally across the skirt front and added a few small butterflies on the top near the shoulders. I like what you did with it. You are getting good use of this fabric.