Monday, February 26, 2007

Replies to my Sewing Room Post

Thanks to everyone for your nice responses! It's great to get feedback on a room that's near and dear. Rather than responding in the Comments, I thought I'd go ahead and post here. Maybe someone will see the answer to a question she didn't realize she had.

To Debbie Cook: I guess neatness is relative. My sewing room is right outside the bedroom door so I feel like I have to keep the mess in control. After all, I have to look at it at least twice a day! I guess it's a good thing that I didn't show the closet door opened up!

Also, the cats are a factor. I can't even shut doors anymore since Smudge figured out how to open them--I have levers instead of knobs.

To Sharon: I love post it notes, especially the little colored plastic tabs. It does make referencing simpler. I mark good articles as I read through the magazine.

To MeLisa: I hope the bookcase pictures helped. I think in the long run, the cubbies work better for fabric storage than long stretches of shelving. You can probably find similar units in the closet section of Lowe's or Home Depot. FYI, be sure to get a rechargeable screwdriver for putting them together. It's much easier on your wrists than by hand!

As for the sofa table, I haven't had any problems with it being too narrow. I learned to sew on my mom's 1950's era White, which came in its own table. It wasn't much wider than the sofa table. What I like best is that it's a little lower than a normal table, and that means the height of the machine beds is close to perfect for me. If I need more room for a project, I can always move one of the machines off and shift everything else to the right hand side of the table. Also, it helps that the table isn't flush with the wall; there's about a hand's width of space between.

Everyone, it's nice to know that there are so many members of the Sterilite Club out there! What would we do without our translucent storage containers?!?

No comments: